Here are the reasons why.
Data from the Garda Analysis Service shows that one-third of all burglaries are through the front doors – with most burglars using their own body to gain entry. Other key findings include:
- Burglars also commonly target back doors (26%), back windows (24%) and front windows (8%), with one in five cases involving a burglar getting access through an unsecured door or window.
- Jewellery and cash remain the most common objects stolen, with €600 being the average value of goods taken.
- Computers, mobile phones, TVs and games consoles are also among the top items stolen.
- Nearly half of burglaries (46%) occur between 5pm and 11pm.
- The practice of ‘fishing’, where car keys are fished through a letterbox by burglars, also remains a problem with the Dublin region most at risk.
- Take these simple steps to protect your home